Ps2 vs. Ps3

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
The Freeze Fan
200+ Spending too much Time Here

Ps2 vs. Ps3

Post by The Freeze Fan »

I've been a Playstation fan every since its debut in America back in 1995, and I've been wanting a PS3 but I have held my self back due to the lack of interesting games in its library. Well that will likely change with the June release of Metal Gear Solid 4, but still I've played the latest Sony system and have failed to notice a change in graphics between the PS2 and the PS3 except for Elder Scrolls 4 and LAIR and the latter has received bad reviews because of horrible game controls. So what you guys think? Are the graphics for the PS3 better than the PS2?
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

They are, easily.
DarkNS
50+ FIMS Regular

Post by DarkNS »

Are you serious!!!!!

No, really. Today, the PS3 it's the most advanced console in the market and you should look carefully because there is a HUGE difference between them.

It's like comparing a Chevrolet Corsa Classic and a Lamborghini Diablo. I mean, they are both excelent cars but the latest, well... you got the point.
The Freeze Fan

Re: Ps2 vs. Ps3

Post by The Freeze Fan »

The Wii is actually better than the PS3.

Motion controls are the way of the future of video games.
Jay
Cronos, his eyes on fire...

Post by Jay »

i do most of my gaming on my pc, but when it comes to console gaming, i really like my Xbox 360. but thats just me :-)
tinyspider
Guitar Hero

Post by tinyspider »

Jay wrote:i do most of my gaming on my pc, but when it comes to console gaming, i really like my Xbox 360. but thats just me :-)
I agree with Jay PC FTW! :D :D

And as for the wii, yeah, the controls are kinda cool, but it really lacks in the graphics department, since the console it's targeted to families and casual gamers and not hardcore gamers. I remember watching a program in MTV Latin America where the journalist asked a developer (I don't remember of what game, I think it was Prince of Persia) if they were going to port it to the wii and his answer was "uh, I thought we were discussing third generation consoles here... :lol:
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Motion controls are a gimmick. Video games that require a lot of activity seems nice, but remember that the original damn appeal of video games was being able to do something awesome from the comfort of your own couch. Combine that with weak graphics and the Wii is just bollocks.

The playstation 3 is easily superior to the PS2 and its processing power is the highest of any of the consoles, hands down, though compared to the 360 we're talking maybe 15% more at best. Most games could go multi-platform with the main difference being if there was supposed to be a lot of stuff going on in the distance the range at which you could see it would be reduced to avoid processing issues. This is why Heavenly Sword was such a big deal.

If anything the main flaw of the PS3, or so people tell me, is that the R2 and L2 buttons, which are frequently used for shooting, are not good for this due to their positions compared to the 360's trigger buttons. I don't see it myself, actually disliking the triggers, but it has come up. Really with only a handful of games going fully exclusive these days controller is a bigger deal than games. Any 360 games I want I just get for PC.
The Freeze Fan

Post by The Freeze Fan »

don't get me wrong i love my Ps3. i just played CODMW2 today and it blew me away. but PS Home sucks and my Ps3 freezes whenever I use the Internt Browser. Anyone know what is wrong with it?
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Well yeah, PS Home is pretty much a crappy version of Second Life. But bear in mind its free and you don't need to use it, as I sure don't.

As for the freezing it might be how your connection is set up. Getting a new IP config might help if you're going wireless.
Lord Hypno
Hypnotist

Post by Lord Hypno »

i'm only a PC guy but i have a friend that has both and it seams like he uses the PS3 more one if you have a netflix account you can stream movies (360 does too), two really good high quality video. it lacks in some cool game's now but Assassins 2 and a few others are coming out and 3 it's a Blu-ray Player that saves you money in the long run from having to buy one. 4 you can stream avi (divx and xvid) from a pc to watch on your tv

i know the 360 does most of that too but the blu-ray put's it over the top for me

Fear is The Mind Killer
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Don't forget the PS3 has the Uncharted games as exclusives as well as Little Big Planet, and the counter-Halo/Gears of War Resistance and Killzone series. Then there's God of War III, which is coming soon, and so on. The full list of PS3 exclusives are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P ... only_games
rustycusak
<25 FIMS Newbie

Post by rustycusak »

Sounds like a great deal, approx. ??50 for a PS2 and 5 games? Go for it! Wish I had such a deal available to me.

My friend is in college and is done playing video games (except sometimes he plays on his PSP). The 5 games are: GTA Vice City, Max Payne, GTA 3, Mortal Kombat and Driver 2.
grand_n
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by grand_n »

To tell you the truth I have all the current consoles to date and I have to say that the PS3 is the most disappointing one.

I used to be a major PC gamer, and I have converted putting games on the same machine that you use to do your work and have your photos on isn't such a great idea. Buying a console was always going to be much cheaper.

I was first a nintendo boy. Getting a NDS and a Wii. I was pretty happy with them, but eventually I wanted to move onto more hectic gaming as the NDS (a more kid friendly portable gaming device) and wii (a family oriented console) didn't really have the games for me available. I wanted to play FPS and stuff with more blood and gore, and stuff with cutting edge graphics.

Eventually I ended up redeeming a PS3, and I tell you what. I was pretty disappointed, games were so expensive (over $100AU) they took off the feature to play PS2 games from the original PS3, and the online gaming is quite shoddy (hence it's free) But I guess at the time I had the PS3 there weren't that many titles too.

Afterwards I ended up buying a PSP and a Xbox 360. I am really happy with those purchases, esp the Xbox 360 the games are so much cheaper, and the graphics are just as good. I see no difference in the graphics. Online gameplay is much more stable, and you get one month free to try it out as well. I guess there's a reason why Sony was literally giving away PS3's at one point, and why microsoft doesn't give away xbox 360s. Another reason why I say no to PS3s is that it's not able to be modified too.

But I guess if you want to play Metal Gear Solid then you got no choice but to get a PS3, since it's only available on the PS3. Happy gaming.
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Online gaming quite shoddy? What games were you playing? The support for games like the CoD series, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2 is fantastic!