FTP

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
spaz3z
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

FTP

Post by spaz3z »

Why when i acess the FTP i can't see whats in any of the folders. Am i in the private FTP? And if so does this mean the Public FTP no longer gets updated. Not really sure how all this works, even when i uploaded once i didn't even understand fully?
freezeman
50+ FIMS Regular

Post by freezeman »

I'm asking the same question and how do you go to the PRIVATE FTP :?:
Wishmaster
100+ FIMS Warrior

Post by Wishmaster »

There is no private FTP. it still exists and can be accessed. But for well over a year now the public FTP is the one used, and all of the stuff on the private FTP has been moved to the public http://ftp.basictek.net page.

Basically noone uses the private FTP, and when they do all it does is cause confusion. - So use the public one unless Bas tells you otherwise, it the one checked frequently, and the one that most everyone expects things to be posted too.

I definitely could be wrong, but having contributed a handful of things over time this is the impression I get.
tinyspider
Guitar Hero

Post by tinyspider »

Wishmaster wrote:There is no private FTP. it still exists and can be accessed. But for well over a year now the public FTP is the one used, and all of the stuff on the private FTP has been moved to the public http://ftp.basictek.net page.

Basically noone uses the private FTP, and when they do all it does is cause confusion. - So use the public one unless Bas tells you otherwise, it the one checked frequently, and the one that most everyone expects things to be posted too.

I definitely could be wrong, but having contributed a handful of things over time this is the impression I get.
You're right Wishmaster, basically the process goes like this: When a contributor uploads a file it does on the "Private" FTP, then Basictek move it to the public one for everyone to download. Normally just takes between a handful hours to a couple of days for him to do that so you just have to wait a little whenever a new file is uploaded.

The reason why a contributor uses the private FTP to upload files is a technical one: The public FTP is carried by the server under the http protocol, so is not possible to upload from there, for the server is just indexing (listing) the files.

I hope I don't sound authoritative, but as far as I know, the private FTP is for contributors only, so I also rather wait if Basictek wants to disclose that information.
FreezeTek
Motto: Free Freeze for all

Post by FreezeTek »

honestly the so called private ftp has been posted so many times it really isn't private anymore. Last I checked it was pretty much empty. I've been having FTP problems since I lost my HD and bought new computers with windows shit installed... I mean vista. :shock: This has prevented me from moving everything lately to the public store (http directory listing).

So the private FTP was supposed to be deleted a long time ago and I started offering contributors direct access to their own folder in the public store. This saves me from managing anything. The public FTP is always available to anyone. The problem with it is that to allow anyone to upload I have to also allow them to delete (which seems to happen often).

FT
Tekka
100+ FIMS Warrior

Re: FTP

Post by Tekka »

hate to beat up on the dead horse again, but i was wondering if we're ever see the ftp again it has some great stuff i would like see again. I'm sure new stuff is ready to be seen maybe even give space to our video friendly users.

Tek~
tinyspider
Guitar Hero

Re: FTP

Post by tinyspider »

I'm not sure what Lord Hypno (who has set up the board as it is now, and is paying for the hosting) might say about this, but an FTP server takes up a lot of space and bandwidth. I think the way the board is configured now does not allow for that kind of enterprise. Users like Puducu, have shared the materials they have found using file sharing sites such as megaupload, I think that's a good alternative. The board also allows now uploading of attachments, as long as they're not too big (I think the limit now is 6MB).