The Grand List of ASFR Devices

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
Zero
Motion Stopper

The Grand List of ASFR Devices

Post by Zero »

Hey folks. The LTBSA has been around for years and a lot of people have been writing and submitting stories for it, but I got to thinking: where do people get inspiration?

Thus, in an attempt to help inspire people, give them nudges when trying to come up with a device to freeze helpless young adults and other such things, I'm starting this open list. By open list I mean I'll be posting a few things that are devices people have used/could use for their stories to produce the big effects that we all enjoy. I encourage everyone to participate and, once we have enough, we can coax Dmuk into posting this on the LTBSA (shouldn't be too hard since he's already said he's behind this idea).

Anyhow, without further dudes, here's the start of the list:

The Stopwatch
Commonly Used For: Stopping Time
Origin: Magical, advanced science disguised as something simple
Going as far back as classic science fiction, the common pocketwatch/stop watch has frequently been used as a means to stop time. Generally this device allows the one who is holding the watch and presses the plunger/dial on the watch to remain free to move while time is frozen.

The Wand
Commonly Used For: Transformations, Temperature Changes
Origin: Magicial
The classic device, used by wizards and witches alike, has a very old origin. Generally when employed they're used as a means to allow a person, be they ordinary or trained, to do various things, though the most common theme is turning something (or someone, I should say) into something else. Using it change the weather/temperature, thus resulting in flash freezes, is also fairly common, but there is really is no limitation to what this device can do such as stopping time or hypnosis. Generally however the wand is justified as either being magical itself or a channeling device for magic, rarely if ever having a scientific basis.

I know that's only two, but I planning on posting more later if others don't beat me to it.
FreezAntix
200+ Spending too much Time Here

Post by FreezAntix »

The Remote
Common Use: Controlling time in general
Origins: Magical and scientific...just like the stop watch it is disguised as something simple. Most popular seen in the Adam Sandler movie "Click"
Function: Works like a remote...stop button, play button, rewind, fast forward, Pause and so forth. Could stop, speed up, turn back and start up time at the user's digression. User is also effected as he or she ages if time is sped up.
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

The Ray Gun
Common Use: All Types
Origins: Scientific, usually though alien technology or modern advancements
Function: The classic ray gun dates back a long ways to films like Abbot and Costello Go to Mars in which there was a ray that could freeze people. Rays, due to their advanced nature, are considered capable of generally doing anything from freezing people to turning them to stone to freezing them in blocks of ice.
FreezAntix

Post by FreezAntix »

The Camera
Common Use: Freezing people or things
Origins: Magical...mostly something to deal with the flash could also be scientific as well the bulb flash could be bright enough to mess with someones brain...or something along those lines.
Function: Works like any other camera capturing the moment when used.

Freezing Drugs
Common Use: Freezing people or other living things
Origins: Could be magical in a fantasy setting. In a modern setting is scientific mostly advancement of some type of drug much like sleeping gas or something.
Function: Induces freezing to victim. Could be a in the form of dart, liquid or gas.
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Potions
Common Use: Transformations
Origins: Magical
Fuction:
The magical brother to drugs, potions are generally created by witches, wizards, demons and the like or idiots who find a spell book and generally have the effect of turning someone into something else, though naturally freezing would work too. Potions, like drugs, can be consumed, employed as a gas or coated on a projectile like a crossbow bolt or a dart.

Mental Powers
Common Use: Stopping Time, Hypnosis/mind control
Origins: Magical/Scientific
Function:
Whether they're just the next step in human evolution or people who have magical abilities, the power of the mind frequently results in freezing abilities and mind control. This can range from a person finding a way to slip into a nirvana-like state and thus move faster than almost anything or merely unleash a spell.

Gaze
Common Use: Transformation, Hypnosis/mind control
Origins: Magical/Scientific
Function:
The ability for someone's gaze to turn someone else into something else (say, stone) dates back to the legend of Medusa. Much like mental powers the gaze can be grounded both scientifically or magically with transformations usually going the way of magic while mind control/hypnosis can go either way. The statement, 'look into my eyes...' is a classic hypnosis-related line.
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

I got one that isn't on the list, but you'll have to read through a chapter or two of an upcoming story to find out what it is! 8)
"Your beauty will be preserved forever, my dear!"
Dosman!
FIMS Contributor

Post by Dosman! »

The deep stare of Dosman!
"If you move a muscle, you'll regret it...now HOLD you pose, or else!"
Freezetag
50+ FIMS Regular

Post by Freezetag »

How about a magical piece of jewelry, i.e. that necklace in Mannequin 2? Fairly underused device in ASFR lit.
anthryax
FIMS Contributor

Post by anthryax »

The Tanning Booth
Usually for the creation of mannequins, and is either technology or magic or both. One of my favorites. Fools Page and Mangus used it in a couple of my favorite stories.

Sprayer
Of all sorts, used for creating statues and mannequins, or freezing people. Not the same as a ray gun, but similar. Cobalt Jade used it in another story favorite of mine. Fool also used it.

Chamber / Tube
A common device in mannequin making stories. You fill it with a fluid and add model and soon you have your display model. Fool and several others have used this one.

Makeup / Body paint
Another favorite. You get the model to allow you to spray it or otherwise apply it and soon you have your statue or mannequin. Window Dressee used it in one of my favorites.

Windup Key
Place windup key, oversized it always good, into the back of the future toy. Wait patiently, or impatiently, and soon you have your windup doll
Madbird used it in a couple of manips I particularly like of his.
Jay
Cronos, his eyes on fire...

Post by Jay »

What about striaght up hypnosis?
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

Personally, I would like to see a repost of the old "ice-man's list" that was around when I first got on the net. This was 2003, but I still managed to miss voting by a year or two. There were a dozen legit topics ranging from what type of expression you preferred, to the position that they were frozen in. Up until I read that list, I had never really had given thought of what my favorite pose, type of freeze or if they had a blank look or the look of surprise on their face!

Any of you "old-school" guys have the questions from the list saved out there?
FreezAntix

Post by FreezAntix »

zapped! wrote:Personally, I would like to see a repost of the old "ice-man's list" that was around when I first got on the net. This was 2003, but I still managed to miss voting by a year or two. There were a dozen legit topics ranging from what type of expression you preferred, to the position that they were frozen in. Up until I read that list, I had never really had given thought of what my favorite pose, type of freeze or if they had a blank look or the look of surprise on their face!

Any of you "old-school" guys have the questions from the list saved out there?
No reason why we can't start that up again.
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

I don't have any of the questions saved though. I remember iceman had a list of asfr scenes in TV shows and movies like on WK's list, and the ASFR questions may have been on that same site.
cjmaker
50+ FIMS Regular

Post by cjmaker »

zapped! wrote:Any of you "old-school" guys have the questions from the list saved out there?
Is this the list? It's from 1997:

http://www.p-synd.com/statuephile/fofwpoll.htm
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

Yep, that be the one! Pretty good questions that I had never really given thought to, until I first saw it on the screen in front of me in 2003. I think in the pre-internet days, I was just happy enough to see ANY woman frozen, regardless of how she looked or how it was done!

Thanks for finding the list of questions: I didn't think it existed any more to tell you the truth! :D
dmuk
Demented Gadfly

good going

Post by dmuk »

That's an excellent find, and a good resource for the opinions of the day. It would be illuminating to see if any of those choices may have changed.

In the meantime, I'd like to continue the device list with...

--The Null-Time Field--
Common Use: Stopping Time
Origins: Scientific
Function: Used for suspending someone in a 'time bubble' for an extended period, this gizmo was used in my "Case Work" to allow a beautiful but doomed heroine a chance at survival in an unspecified future. The technology was never fully explained, but it was a device - versus magic or mental powers - that brought about the complete cessation of time's arrow within the confines of a small chamber; in the plot of the story, a display case. Like many other gizmos, this one didn't pay too much attention to the thermodynamic implications of stasis in favor of a striking visual image.

-D-
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

I remember that striking visual image! :D
frozenchrissy
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by frozenchrissy »

i think it would be kind of cool to do another poll like the one that the link was too. the results might be similar, but just if that one was done i think someone said 1997, just might be fun to do a 2008 one.