The Fermata

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
zapped13
500+ Elite

The Fermata

Post by zapped13 »

I've always wondered why there wasn't an ASFR "Book Review" section on here, so maybe this will be a first. I'm only halfway through it, so maybe I'll update this post when I'm done.

I recently purchased a copy of Nicholson Baker's 'The Fermata' on ebay. For those of you who don't know, this is an adult timestop novel about a guy who discovers the ability to stop time at a young age. His first experience involves a school teacher whom he has a mild crush on. As he ages, his desire to perfect his ability to stop time whenever he chooses - grows. Eventually he succeeds, but ends up abusing this power. It takes over his life - him wanting to freeze and take advantage of every hot woman that crosses his path.

Now I don't want to get everybody all excited, but there is a blurb on wikipedia under "The Fermata" that claims that Robert Zemeckis is drafting a screenplay to make this into a film. I've known about this for a few weeks now, and I've done some searching on google. One person went on to claim that "Cashback" was a remake of the book. Although the two involve timestop and women being frozen and stripped naked, the novel, in fact, has absolutely nothing to do with the Cashback movie. I did, however, come across this little nugget:

"...The Fermata: Based on Nicholson Baker's 1994 book, The Fermata is the fictionalized autobiography of Arno Strine. He has the ability to stop time at will, at which point he usually indulges himself by taking women's clothes off. Neil and Robert Zemeckis take the main character's ability to stop time, and what he usually does with it, and emphasize the man's inability to connect with society, making the character a bit more sympathetic. Neil has written three drafts, and after each draft he met with Zemeckis to discuss it. In 2003 he finished putting the final touches on the script, and hopefully it will eventually go into pre-production. At the Nicholas Baker Fan Page you will find more information on Nicholson Baker and his works..."

...Now discuss! :lol:
Last edited by zapped13 on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your beauty will be preserved forever, my dear!"
Lord Hypno
Hypnotist

Re: The Fermata

Post by Lord Hypno »

wow that may be Epic .. we shall see

Fear is The Mind Killer
DJenser
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by DJenser »

I hate to be a downer, but I heard about the Zemeckis angle way back in '04. There was considerable debate then about whether he'd be able to do the story justice... The consensus back then was that, while he could easily handle the effects aspects, the source material wouldn't likely make it onto the screen in any recognizable form in a Zemeckis production. He's just too family-friendly for this one... To be honest, I doubt I would be able to bring myself to watch something that watered down...
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

Maybe an IFC production company would take this up. They did an amazing job with Suspension and Cashback. :D
Seize the moment.

Literally.