Freezing and Wheelchairs

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...

Is freezing the physically handicapped okay?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 23

Zero
Motion Stopper

Freezing and Wheelchairs

Post by Zero »

The place I work at tends to have a decent of people who use wheelchairs, crutches or other forms of movement assistance come through since we have facilities made for them. This got me start to wonder about if it would be in bad taste to feature one in a freeze story (specifically as someone frozen and manipulated). I genuinely am not sure, and if you think that's surprising here's my thinking that has caused me to reach this impasse.

Why it would be fine
I've met quite a few people wheelchair bound or otherwise who don't want to be treated differently. I would definitely argue that attractiveness trumps awkwardness (obviously not if awkwardness is replaced with illegal, please don't misinterpret that), and not including them would almost make it seem like we're pretending they don't exist.

Why it would be wrong
The fetish can really be about taking advantage of people, and that always seems worse when you're dealing with someone who is handicapped. Manipulation when there's limited mobility could almost seem cruel.
DJenser
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Re: Freezing and Wheelchairs

Post by DJenser »

Seems to me that freezing would be an equalizer in this case.

I'd say that, if you're having a crisis of conscience about freezing someone who is wheelchair-bound, you might want to consider if it would appear any different than freezing some random person who happens to be sitting in a wheelchair.
CupC
<25 FIMS Newbie

Post by CupC »

It's ok for me, IF the handicap is essential for the story in a positive sense!
E.g. she can hold a pose longer, because she has training with crutches,
or her orthopedic corset has some additional bracing (unusual for "normal" corsets") which are essential for this freezing!
or something similar ...

Counter-indication:
her limited mobility is just a device to kidnap her more easily :-(
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. On one side it's taking advantage of someone who's probably been taken advantage of in their lives already, on the other you can always stand them up when they are frozen... that's sort of like helping... them??? o_O

I guess you could ask this question for others as well, like for someone who's blind or deaf. If they're frozen in time the handicap doesn't play a role in anything since a girl who can't stand or see can stand by us posing her but still can't see in frozen time.

I'm torn with this, so I'm not voting just yet.
Seize the moment.

Literally.
thestatuemaker
300+ Spending Way too much time here

Post by thestatuemaker »

I think you should follow your muse wherever it takes you...
freezefantasy
200+ Spending too much Time Here

Post by freezefantasy »

In my opinion, the whole nature of fetish is about appreciation, and for some, arousal, by the extraordinary; by features and/or scenarios typically overlooked by the general populace. And just as how there are people who like specific body features like feet or belly buttons or armpits, there are people who also like specific body types like amputees, albinos, overweights, transgenders, and yes, those in a wheelchair.

Diversity of taste is what makes us humans more complex than animals, but viewing other humans as purely objects of desire is what could make us no better than animals.

It's a moral line in the sand, so I think the best way to allow your imagination run wild while being shackled by the responsibilities of being a participant in an ethical society is consent.

If the wheel-chaired person is willing to participate in your freeze stories/scenarios, and they are of legal age and mental capacity in making that decision, then I think it's fine, even if some others might protest that it's distasteful because they think supermodels and football hunks are the only attractive people around.

Erika
Best,

FF
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

freezefantasy wrote:In my opinion, the whole nature of fetish is about appreciation, and for some, arousal, by the extraordinary; by features and/or scenarios typically overlooked by the general populace. And just as how there are people who like specific body features like feet or belly buttons or armpits, there are people who also like specific body types like amputees, albinos, overweights, transgenders, and yes, those in a wheelchair.

Diversity of taste is what makes us humans more complex than animals, but viewing other humans as purely objects of desire is what could make us no better than animals.

It's a moral line in the sand, so I think the best way to allow your imagination run wild while being shackled by the responsibilities of being a participant in an ethical society is consent.

If the wheel-chaired person is willing to participate in your freeze stories/scenarios, and they are of legal age and mental capacity in making that decision, then I think it's fine, even if some others might protest that it's distasteful because they think supermodels and football hunks are the only attractive people around.

Erika
I guess I was thinking along the lines of timestop, but that's really not what the OP was asking, so I guess you can ignore my original post. :p

IMO it's ok if they subject is consenting in this, if they say "yes I'm ok with being hypnotized to freeze". There's no moral line in my eye that would prevent the rest to happen after that's being discussed with them. If they want it, there's 0 reason not to do it to them.
Seize the moment.

Literally.
Leem
FIMS Contributor

Post by Leem »

My personal preference is for various kinds of immobilisation. Immobilising somebody who only has partial mobility to begin with doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Plus, freezing somebody who's already disabled may seem a bit tasteless, but then I guess you could say that about the NC elements of some of my stories... but in the end I guess it is all a matter of personal taste and judgement.
Ever notice that all the trouble in this world is caused by people trying to get rid of troublemakers?
Corey Fantoccini
100+ FIMS Warrior

Post by Corey Fantoccini »

On a similar tack, I have always wondered about the possibilities of exploring mannequin fetishism with amputee models. While recently watching the behind-the-scenes footage of THE WORLD'S END, I learned that for many of the scenes where "the Blanks" would lose an arm, that amputee stuntpersons were often used for the scenes. And I was reminded that some of the scenes that have imprinted upon me in this field have involved partial dismemberment, such as in TOURIST TRAP or some of the videos from the 11Fifty collective.

As such, if someone missing an arm or a leg was game for participating in such a visual depiction, like being fully clothed on display and when a bystander questions if they're real, gets temporarily fooled when a handler removes their fake limb, I have to say that would be an interesting spin.
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Thinking about this and people's comments I'm thinking if I ever did include someone in a wheelchair in one of my stories I'd probably avoid moving them anywhere by wheeling. I'm feeling that having them frozen and manipulated could be fine as long as I'm not seemingly taking advantage of that fact. That could be tricky since dragging a frozen person is pretty fun and you'd think one would use the device available, but I fear any wheeling would suddenly make it go into bad taste regardless of logic. Probably just have the person lifted out of the chair and placed nearby.
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Wanted to revive this topic with a new question in a similar vein: people missing a limb. Now in this case they're not wheelchair bound (in fact the scenario I'm considering is a character with one arm). While the wheelchair bit could feel exploitative (I haven't gone ahead with it), I'm not sure the limb thing would really be an issue so long as I don't draw attention to it. Still I'd love some opinions on it.
Corey Fantoccini
100+ FIMS Warrior

Post by Corey Fantoccini »

See my comment from a couple posts earlier. I say go for it.