A twist on the remote control macguffin... maybe?

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
meh
FIMS Contributor

A twist on the remote control macguffin... maybe?

Post by meh »

I've never seen it posted or suggested here, but maybe it has and I just missed it.

I've always wondered why someone who has a remote can't record things just like a vcr for playback later and this is just something I've always dreamed about and the idea has been evolving in my mind for a very long time.

I've had dreams and daydreams where I'm able to record minutes/days/however long I need, and just play them back and explore different things over and over. One of these uses was to record a night where a girl I was dating was spilling the beans about our date to some friends she had over. All I had to do was record the night and play it back and I could be right in front of them, listening to everything they say but the difference here is that I can rewind things and freeze them if I need to. The only con to this is that since it's a recording nothing can change, it's set just like you can't alter a movie script. I did figure a way around it when things are frozen, I started using an "undo" and "restore" command like any editing program. Undo would just make things go back one step at a time; so lets say I moved a book from a girls hand to a desk and then to a table. If I used the Undo command once it would simply go back to the table but Restore would revert any changes I made and it would be back in the girls hand even if I moved the book 500000 times. After a few dreams/daydreams it got even more involved and I could single out a single item or person and only undo/restore them and leave everything else the way they were sort of like the history list in Photoshop but until everything was back to the way it first was... playback couldn't be started again. Can you tell I've got OCD? :p

Since I couldn't alter anything when the recording was in motion, forward or backward, if I stood in front of something that was moving, let's say my gf, she would simply run me over like a car with no brakes so I eventually solved this by being able to slowly stop things by preventing the object or person from moving in the direction they were supposed to go but only with extreme force could I do anything. It was way more fun trying to stop the flow of time then getting knocked on my ass or breaking my arms because I was in someone's path, and it was kinda cool slowing things down to a crawl like that. In a lucid dream I discovered that I didn't even need a remote and that I could just shout commands and I could also cause time to move backwards by forcibly pushing the person or object in the opposite direction after initially slowing and stopping things but only if I didn't intend on altering someone while they were frozen. I have a dream thread were I first figured out the basics of this backwards mechanic: http://lm.basictek.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2875

Wow, my dreams are overly complicated, this probably doesn't even make any sense to anyone but me. ha. :/
Seize the moment.

Literally.
meh
FIMS Contributor

Re: A twist on the remote control macguffin... maybe?

Post by meh »

Well I feel a bit strange now.

Nothing to see here folks, la la la. :oops:
Seize the moment.

Literally.
akoof
Producer Extraordinaire

Re: A twist on the remote control macguffin... maybe?

Post by akoof »

I've only had a couple lucid dreams, and I'm always so intrigued by how our subconscious dream state works, haha.

In mine, I would realize I was dreaming (most often after trying to count the fingers on my hand, a habit I tried to develop after having a lot of vivid dreams). At that point, the hardest part was not waking up, as I would be instantly ecstatic upon realizing I was dreaming. For whatever reason, I found spinning around really quickly would help keep me immersed in the dream state. I think both tips I read somewhere, but will add that from my experience they seem to work.

As far as what I would be able to do, the first time I really wanted to try out freezing, or stopping time. In a public place, I attempted to do this by just shouting out FREEZE! The only thing though was I think my subconscious didn't understand what I meant, and so everyone would freeze, but in a live freeze, like a flash mob, and on purpose. I'd be able to see people still shuffling out of the corner of my eye, people who didn't 'freeze' as quickly, and such. This frustrated me, and despite all my efforts, I couldn't seem to have a command on the laws of time or anything itself. I think the dream ended with me trying to see what would happen when I moved or posed one of the frozen peeps, but it just felt off, and I sort of just woke up without really accomplishing anything.

However, the second time, I realized that I could probably trick my subconscious into doing what I want if I just go about it in the right manner. So I decided if I wanted to stop time, I'd need a device to do so, similar to the remote from your dream, meh. But I couldn't just have it appear out of nowhere, even while lucid, it seems my dreams don't work that way. Instead, the next thing I know, a man is stopping to give me something from inside his jacket. It's the stop-watch from all the japanese time stop vids, and I couldn't help but laugh at how my dream chose that as the object. This time round the device worked, and fortunately I was able to have a bit of fun posing and such before waking up.

At some point I just stopped having as many vivid dreams as I used to (these two dreams are only from this past summer). It always comes in phases for me though, and dreaming regularly seems actually quite easy if you develop some simple dreaming/sleeping habits. Either that or maybe I just have to lay off the reefer.