torrents blow

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
catfan2002
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

torrents blow

Post by catfan2002 »

take forever to download on a superfast computer and have to sit here for hours
Last edited by catfan2002 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

Torrents are usually illegal and it's members of the community who take the time and effort to upload the files in the first place. It's kind of silly to complain about something that doesnt' cost you anything. ;)

If the torrent is being seeded well and no one is leeching, then there should be no reason why the downloading is slow. You're either being blocked by your router or you're choosing files that aren't seeded.
Seize the moment.

Literally.
tinyspider
Guitar Hero

Post by tinyspider »

Torrents download speed doesn't have anything to do with how 'fast' your computer is. You need a good ISP (Internet Service Provider) and many people seeding (sharing the original file) to get it quick, and even in that circumstances it'll take you quite some time to have it if the file is big (such as the average 2 hour movie file wich is about 1.2 GB.) It usually takes 6 to 12 hours in my computer to download something like that. The best thing you can do is to leave your computer on all night long... and sooner or later you'll get what you want
FreezeTek
Motto: Free Freeze for all

Post by FreezeTek »

Downloading torrents takes time to master. You should make sure you have one of the top 3 torrent clients like utorrent, bitcomit, or azeureus. Then you should visit forums for these clients and learn about common pitfalls such as firewalls, ISP's that limit your speed, and proper configuration based on your bandwidth available,

From my own experience I have about 550kb down adn 55kb up(that's kilobytes not bits). If a torrent is "healthy" and has many seeds I can download a 4.5 gig file in 8-15 hours, 700meg in 2-4 hours and 130 meg in under an hour. Many of the torrents for ASFR have not been exactly healthy having 0 or few seeds in which case you have to be patient.

For transferring large files for free torrents have no equal.
valiance heart
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by valiance heart »

What they said. :D
grand_n
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by grand_n »

I second that.
catfan2002
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by catfan2002 »

got better things to do with my time then wait 12 hours for a 2 minute clip.
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

Ok.
Seize the moment.

Literally.
tinyspider
Guitar Hero

Post by tinyspider »

catfan2002 wrote:got better things to do with my time then wait 12 hours for a 2 minute clip.
Then don't download anything use your credit card and buy what you're looking for.... got better things to do with my time than trying to be nice with someone who's not :roll:
Wishmaster
100+ FIMS Warrior

Post by Wishmaster »

Its strange but I buy more content since I started using BT then before I had it. It always irks me to spend money to see a movie, or rent one only to find it was a flop or that it was nothing like what they advertised it as.

To the original post. 12 hours is nothing. If you work an 8-5 job, assume you leave your house at 7AM ( which would be way too late if you are in a big city ). And assume you get home at 6-7PM. You start BT before you leave, and when you get home its done. But all in all BT is going to be the distribution method of the future. The more people that use BT the faster it goes, its like a community.
catfan2002
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by catfan2002 »

has nothing to do with being nice it's my opinion here in america we're allowed to express them. Don't know where you come from but if you don't like freedom of speech there's something wrong with you.
Zero
Motion Stopper

Post by Zero »

Freedom of speech allows for you to express your opinions, but general courtesy is still always welcome, especially if you don't want hostile responses. Just because you're free to do something doesn't mean we have to listen to it.
tinyspider
Guitar Hero

Post by tinyspider »

I tried to give you advice, and you answered 'I had better things to do with my time', that's far from a kind answer for me... :roll:

And please, I ask you in the most friendly manner, don't start that 'America vs. .... anything' topic, I'm tired of seeing it all over the Internet. I don't hate Americans, and I also live in America (well... not North America :lol:) but freedom of speech is also granted here.
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

catfan2002 wrote:has nothing to do with being nice it's my opinion here in america we're allowed to express them. Don't know where you come from but if you don't like freedom of speech there's something wrong with you.
Freedom of speech? IIRC when you signed up for an account on these forums, you agreed to the forums contract stating that you waive your rights and must abide by the rules given to this message board. So no, you do not have complete freedom of speech as there are rules and regulations that must be followed. Though those rules are only enforced when a mod/admin think thye are deservingly applied.

So it's close to, but not 100% freedom of speech.
Seize the moment.

Literally.
Wishmaster
100+ FIMS Warrior

Post by Wishmaster »

All of this philosophy, someone post a clip already!

btw, to any on the Light Years torrent I plan to turn it off soon, so let me know what % you are at so I know if I need to leave it on longer.
catfan2002
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by catfan2002 »

meh wrote:
catfan2002 wrote:has nothing to do with being nice it's my opinion here in america we're allowed to express them. Don't know where you come from but if you don't like freedom of speech there's something wrong with you.
Freedom of speech? IIRC when you signed up for an account on these forums, you agreed to the forums contract stating that you waive your rights and must abide by the rules given to this message board. So no, you do not have complete freedom of speech as there are rules and regulations that must be followed. Though those rules are only enforced when a mod/admin think thye are deservingly applied.

So it's close to, but not 100% freedom of speech.
nothing in my post broke the rules.
meh
FIMS Contributor

Post by meh »

No it didn't, but I'm just pointing out that it's not really free speech here. ;)
FreezeTek

Post by FreezeTek »

catfan2002 wrote:nothing in my post broke the rules.
How would you know? There are no posted "rules"

Anyway, the only rule is if you annoy members of this community (such as spammers) then I start deleting sh!t. Personally I could care less if you don't like the most revelutionary way to obtain large files since the Internet was created. Doesn't bother me at all. Happy untorrenting... :shock:

Moving on....
catfan2002
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by catfan2002 »

rapidshare is way more revolutionary then torrents but whatever
FreezeTek

Post by FreezeTek »

Rapidshare??? And is every single movie/tv show/software program/game/whatever available on rapidshare??? :roll:
grand_n
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by grand_n »

Rapidshare is sooo filtered to the max these days. When I tried to get something it usually goes the content in this file has been banned... so forth so forth.
Wishmaster
100+ FIMS Warrior

Post by Wishmaster »

The utility of BitTorrent VS Rapdishare has to do with the number of copies distributed in a time interval. You can spend 2-3 hours posting a 200mb file to Rapidshare, and then someone can start DL. With BT, lets say 20 people start DL from you and you start seeding, in the same 2-3 hours you have uploaded 20 copies VS the 1 to Rapidshare. That being said RS is great if you just want to download something quick, because RS does not require you to do anything. With BT if you want to DL you have to Upload, even if its just a little. And if the torrent does not have many seeders to get a good DL you need to not throttle your upload. Generally the people that don't like BT are the leechers that try to download on small torrents since you simply can not leech when the swarm is small.

Hats off to the BT developers, I love obscure, out-of-print movies. And BT has made it possible to view those movies that I would never ever find in the US for sale or otherwise.