A story related technical question

ASFR Writings and Stories
zapped13
500+ Elite

A story related technical question

Post by zapped13 »

Got a question for you computer savvy types: if a person is running a new program and there is a numbered sequence appearing on their monitor, would the proper terminology be called prompts or commands? ...For example; I have a chapter of a story I'm working on where a female inserts a CD into the tray on her computer. Tray closes, the hard drive winds up and whatever the program is doing is now showing up on the screen that she is viewing. Here is an example of what I have:

1) Initiating start-up sequence ... ...

2) Establishing signal with the client ... ... Please stand by ... ...

A few more sentences down I have:

Renee???s monitor blinks and new prompt appears on the screen a short moment later:

5) Direct Brain-Computer Interface established. . . . Now scanning subject . . .

Would these words be called "commands" or "Prompts" ? :(
"Your beauty will be preserved forever, my dear!"
dmuk
Demented Gadfly

Re: A story related technical question

Post by dmuk »

I'd probably call them 'progress messages' since no action (heh) is required by the user... seems from your story clip she's more under control, rather than giving any.

Generally, a "command" is something that the user types into the computer, usually at their own volition. A "prompt" is a message the computer displays that requires some action by the user, which is normally called a "response".

Hope this helps,
-D-
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

Yes it does help and makes far more sense! ... I have to say I've been stuck on the same two paragraphs for over a week and I was getting sick of looking at them. When I got up this morning I thought, Maybe prompt is the issue at hand and possibly the wrong word to use? ...Couldn't be a command because she's not really under control at this point, but she's not giving an order either; she's just sitting completely still and staring at the monitor in silence as the words appear. When I typed in "computer prompt" on google search, this came up: C:\> ...Which is definitely not what I had in mind! :lol:

Thanks, D. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to see the obvious! lol!
dmuk
Demented Gadfly

Post by dmuk »

Happy to be of assistance... I'd be willing to edit/advise on the story too since I hope you'll consider sending it to the LTBSA also.

-D-
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

Will do, but it's got a looong way to go... :(