infamous "personal" Neiman-Marcus mannequin

Other new clips, pics, links, etc
Corey Fantoccini
100+ FIMS Warrior

infamous "personal" Neiman-Marcus mannequin

Post by Corey Fantoccini »

I had long heard about this as urban legend about the kinds of expensive strangeness you could obtain from the upscale department store, but today on my twitter feed (from a non-doller, no less), I finally saw visible proof.

In 1972, for a little over $1000, you could get a standing or seated mannequin made of yourself or someone else (with their consent of course, according to ad copy). Apparently it would even include a short voice recording. Behold!

As I think about it, there is another urban legend about animation guru Jay Ward being notoriously absent from his daughter's wedding, sending a dummy of himself instead to greet guests as it played a recording of him complaining about how much the lavish function was costing him. I am putting it together that the old prankster bought one of these very items.
mannequinmetallic
<25 FIMS Newbie

Re: infamous "personal" Neiman-Marcus mannequin

Post by mannequinmetallic »

Seems interesting, but image isn't showing...
Leem
FIMS Contributor

Post by Leem »

The trouble with "visible proof" these days can be summed up in one word, and that word rhymes with Coco-Pop...
If the mannequins are real, they're a bit Uncanny Valley for my taste.
Ever notice that all the trouble in this world is caused by people trying to get rid of troublemakers?
zapped13
500+ Elite

Post by zapped13 »

Cool "old school" find! :D

...Growing up in the 70???s, I remember one of us asking where mannequins came from. I vividly recall my mom warning us, ???Those mannequins are all people that got caught shop lifting and now they are being punished.??? She even pointed out the two-way mirrored windows near the ceilings from which they would be watching. I was terrified to go into a dressing room after that. The icing on the cake was when we were shopping at Britt???s (an upscale clothing store with four stories) and we were coming down an escalator. There were a group of mannequins posed in a row at the bottom, and I clearly saw one of them move her arm. I immediately pointed in alarm and asked, ???Did that lady get caught stealing too???? and she answered, ???Must be.??? I recall it was a brunette in a blue dress and she winked as we walked past. We never wandered off in Britt???s after that??? :lol:
"Your beauty will be preserved forever, my dear!"