What is hypnosis?

On or off topic discussions. Whatever is on you mind...
meh
FIMS Contributor

What is hypnosis?

Post by meh »

I know what it is, but what exactly is it really? I mean, what is happening to make hypnosis work?

I get the fact that it bypasses the conscious mind but how does that even happen? I've seen videos of people walking down the street and a hypnotist walks up to them, shakes their hands and says sleep, down they go. From what I understand of this, it's because the command "sleep" is so unexpected they kind of short wire their response and go out like a light. What's to stop some someone from going around doing this to people then robbing them? It's frigging weird to see people just fall over like that and it happens all so fast...

There's a few really good hypnotists here but I don't know if there's any people on here who have been hypnotized, if there are I'd love to know what you see and feel when being under hypnosis. What is it like when you're first relaxing and they say "Sleep". I tried watching some of those self hypnosis videos on youtube to get some sleep but it never sticks. The closest I got was a 2 second black out after a slow count down and when the woman in the video said "sleep" I felt like I could be sleeping but I sprang right back up and I couldn't get it to work.

I really want to know a lot about it, the entire thing fascinates me. I wonder what people see when they're given the suggestion to see something. Does it look solid? Does it seem like it's very wavy or dream-like.

When someone is told to freeze and be completely unaware until they're unfrozen does hypnosis actually prevent their brain from forming memories? What about when someone is given the suggestion to forget something or someone, there's all these videos of people told to forget their names or the number five and they completely forget them.

How far can hypnosis go? I watched a Darren Brown (I know, I know lol) special with a commentary and they were discussing a hypnosis session and the goal was to see how far he can make people go outside of what they think they wouldn't do. One example was throwing acid on people faces. Four people were commanded to take a vial of acid and toss it on someone face. They did have vials of acid but they switched them out with regular water when the people weren't looking, but the acid throwers didn't know that. All the people given the vials actually throw the fake acid on the peoples faces which surprised Brown. I didn't watch the whole thing but I'll be damned if some of the other things didn't surprise me too. It was interesting that he said in the commentary that the whole "You don't have to or won't do what you don't want to do" thing wasn't true, actually I saw someone else you youtube saying the same thing.

I've seen some crazy videos online, this one might have been linked here but it was a girl who was hypnotized to believe she was someone else who wanted to be hypnotized. Then she was put under again as this other person and I think she was hypnotized once again as this third personality. How far can you remove someone from their original self before it becomes dangerous? Can you actually lose a person by doing this? I know you can make people forget events and a lot of people do this for therapy but does that last forever and is it just a mental block or do the memories someone actually get erased?

I would love to learn how to do hypnosis, I want to study and understand it, I really want to make some type of documentary on it and put it on film. Sorry for all the questions. :D
Seize the moment.

Literally.
Lord Hypno
Hypnotist

Re: What is hypnosis?

Post by Lord Hypno »

you May as well Be asking What it TIME...

because every human on the planet is different the short and simple answer to every question is yes and no.

some people you can take farther then you can imagine, other you can only take as far as they can imagine.

All hypnosis is self hypnosis and it varies from person to person. so trying to ask direct questions and expecting hard answers is not going to happen

Fear is The Mind Killer
meh
FIMS Contributor

Re: What is hypnosis?

Post by meh »

hmmmm I suppose so. Have you been under LH? I'd love to know what it feels like for each person to see how different it can be.

From what I can understand it can alter the brains waves and people have actually used hypnosis instead of anesthesia for operations, I wonder if it could make people grow back hair or make them actually grow taller by making the brain force the pituitary gland to work like in puberty. I'm sure it's been explored and debunked but it sounds cool.
Seize the moment.

Literally.