Last Year at Marienbad

New clips or pics from Movies
Corey Fantoccini
100+ FIMS Warrior

Last Year at Marienbad

Post by Corey Fantoccini »

The 1961 French New Wave classic LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD is getting a major theatrical reissue through Rialto Pictures, so I just saw it for the first time recently. And it has many instances of people standing frozen or near-motionless throughout. The story is an elliptical, dream-like circle about memory and obsession, and the many moments of still people are meant to reflect a sort of empty feeling of set dressing among its ornate setting. It is a direct influence on filmmakers like David Lynch as well as commercials and fashion shoots: star Delphine Seyrig's costumes were designed by an uncredited Coco Chanel.

There is an OOP DVD that can be located, though there will be a much better one in the near future from The Criterion Collection. Otherwise, it is worth trying to see the film on a big screen if it should get booked at a revival theatre or film series near you.
frozenchrissy
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by frozenchrissy »

this actually used to be one of my favorite french films, but i have to admit i can't watch it anymore "normally" because all the freezing distracts me from the film (which is pretty dense and complicated.)

it's a stellar film.

and it has great freezes.

i reccommend it as well. i recently sold my copy on ebay for like $90. (it's OOP, as the poster said.)

but hopefully, when it comes out on criterion you all can get it much cheaper and a great print of it.
Billy
25+ Not a Newbie Anymore

Post by Billy »

So where's the clip???
FreezeTek
Motto: Free Freeze for all

Post by FreezeTek »

Lord Hypno
Hypnotist

Post by Lord Hypno »

well i have it and i'll seed it for a few days just in case

Fear is The Mind Killer